Wife of Cradle Fund CEO remanded three more days

  • Sep 10, 2018
  • Views 51

Image Description

Police today obtained an extension on the remand order against the wife of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd CEO Nazrin Hassan to facilitate investigation into his murder.

The woman's defence counsel, Hisyam Teh Poh Teik and LS Leonard, told reporters that the Petaling Jaya Magistrate's Court allowed a three-day extension.

Magistrate Nurulhuda Zakariya ordered the extension after hearing arguments from both parties.

Leonard said police had applied for a seven-day remand extension against the woman, but they argued against this.

"The application was centred around the reason for interrogation but we objected. Remand applications cannot be abused for interrogation.

"Based on that, the learned magistrate took our point and said that anything that needs to be done, must be done within three days.

"So by the end of three days, she ought to be released," he said when met outside the courtroom about 2.30pm today.

The woman was arrested last week along with her ex-husband to see if she could shed more light on Nazrin's death on June 14.

Following the arrests, police obtained their first remand order against the duo for seven days, which expires today. Her ex-husband has since been released.

In a new plot twist to the case, police on Saturday arrested the woman's two sons aged 16 and 14 to help in the probe.

The boys were taken to the same court yesterday where police were given a seven-day remand order for them.

Family, friends stage demo

Initially investigated as a sudden death case, Nazrin was initially believed to have died from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at his Mutiara Damansara home.

Police last month reclassified his death as murder after post-mortem and fire investigation reports revealed foul play.

The investigation, among others, found traces of petrol at the crime scene.

Meanwhile, outside the courtroom, some 30 people including family members and friends of the woman who had gathered for a peaceful demo (above) failed to meet her.

It was learnt that she was taken into the courtroom to attend the remand hearing through another route which was not accessible to the public. She was later brought out the same way.